Back Trajectory for Pollution Events

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
user4444
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Back Trajectory for Pollution Events

Postby user4444 » June 16th, 2016, 5:08 pm

I am trying to study the sources of different ozone precursors in a region. I want to use back trajectories to model where the air parcels are coming. I have a couple questions on the usage of back trajectories:
-Is the "start time" that I input actually the time that the final air parcel reaches the desired location?
-I put 100 m AGL for Level 1 height and then 0 m for both Level 2 and Level 3. Is that reasonable for studying local air transport or should I make it higher?
-All other parameters I just left in their default setting. Does that seem good for my intended uses?

Thanks!

ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Back Trajectory for Pollution Events

Postby ariel.stein » June 17th, 2016, 9:07 am

The start time for the back-trajectories should correspond to the time of your measurements.
For the height, if you are dealing with a well mixed boundary layer (say summer afternoon measurements), I would select at least 3 that sample through the planetary boundary layer (e.g. 100, 750 and 1500 m).
As a starting point you could leave the rest of the parameters as default.

As your studies progress you might find that you will need to perform more sophisticated back-trajectory approaches. See for example: http://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tut ... _freq.html

Return to “Users”