Industrial accident simulation

Post user applications of the HYSPLIT trajectory or dispersion model.
jacasalr
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Industrial accident simulation

Postby jacasalr » October 17th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a new HYSTPLIT user but I have found fascinating all its potential. I have donwloaded the PC unregistered version and I would like to simulate a hypothetical accident in an industrial facility (hypothetical, as well). I have read and followed the tutorial at the webpage but still I want to be sure I am doing the right way.

My question this time is regarding to input data I would need to know in order to perform a proper simulation. According to the information I extracted from the tutorial, I would need to know the following information:

- Meteorological data on the month when accident takes place. If the data is needed for a facility located at Europe, Latin America or Asia, can it be obtained from HYSPLIT menu Meteorology/ARL Data FTP/Reanalysis?
- Kind of substance (s) involved into the accident.
- Total amount of substance (s) released from the accident (or mass flux in [unit of mass/hour]).
- Emission duration in [hours].
- Location of the "facility" (Latitude and Longitude). Can I use a location in Euripe, Latin America or Asia?
- Starting altitude in [meters].

Do I need something else? Am I missing something?

My aim is to get a graph where I could see the concentration profile and trajectories of a plume originated from a hypothetical industrial accident, so I might estimate the affected area.

Thank you for your help!

Return to “User Applications”